Thursday, October 9, 2008

1st Trip to ER + 1st OB Appt

I'm sorry I've been such a bad blogger. :(
You guys are the best, and I am in tears over your concern and sweet comments.

The summary version of this is, everything is fine. Babies are fine and so am I. Both trips were uneventful and boring, which is a good thing. I still feel sick/tired/back pain and the latest symptom of headaches, so it's been hard to sit at the computer to blog after having been in class all day too.

The long version:

After the super pain of Thursday continued into Friday, I tried to reach the OB's office all day, couldn't get through. Called the fertility clinic out of desperation, they said to go to the ER. So we packed up and went to the ER for our Friday date night. :)

Blood tests, urine tests, physical exam, all looked fine. No cause or reason found for the pains at all. We got to see the babies on an u/s, and we saw their heartbeats looked fine, and that is all I needed to know to be able to breathe easier. DH was also relieved, but he seems to be more impacted by the fact that one of the babies "was like, doing BACKFLIPS!" :)

I did nothing all weekend long, and the cramping went down considerably. Monday I had my first OB appointment. Thankfully, I had read a bunch of reviews of this doctor online, so I was prepared. As my family doctor (whose daughter-in-law had the same OB said) said, "great doctor, but she has no personality." I made sure I had all my questions answered, but it was definitely a very cut and dry appointment, and later I realized, she didn't actually tell me anything of her own accord - any information I got out of the appointment was from my own questions. So I'm not thrilled with her, but everyone says she's a good doctor, and I'm not sure if I have any choice, to be honest. I feel strongly about seeing a female physician, and she's the only high-risk female OB that the fertility clinic recommended. The clinic said I don't need to start with a high-risk OB, but I might need to switch to one, so I might as well just get started with her.

One thing I am slightly concerned about is the huge number of u/s. I know most people are thrilled to see their babies, and trust me, I am too, but I've already had 4 u/s, and the OB said I will have one at every appt, which is every 3 weeks! It's still a form of radiation, isn't it? It just seems like it's overkill.

Other than that, all is well. Cramping is pretty much gone, and that is a big relief. I'm using heat for my back and starting prenatal yoga tomorrow, so hopefully both will help. I've had a bad headache every single evening, and I never get headaches, but I know it's because I had to cram in a lot of studying all at once since I did nothing all weekend. So hopefully this subsides on its own.

I've had so many blog posts in my mind, because while it may seem like I am consumed with nausea, vomiting, running to the bathroom, sleeping, and pain, I do have a lot more going through my mind right now...:) It's just that all of the above are making it hard to sit down at the computer and reflect.

I hope you all are doing well. I will slowly try to catch up with everyone this weekend. Thanks for being so awesome, as always. : )

21 comments:

Brandi Tejeda said...

So happy to hear you and the babies are fine! I dont think you need to stress over the u/s ok? I had MANY with my third pregnancy because I lost my second baby. So he did lots to be sure the baby was ok. And she is just fine! :)

Mrs. Spit said...

I would question why at every appointment? Why Ultrasounds and not just a NST? Do the BPP (which is an ultrasound) if the wee ones fail the NST.

I have to have one every 2 weeks, as a result of IUGR associated with Pre-e.

As my midwife says, all sorts of children are walking around, and they've had lots of ultrasounds, and there's nothing wrong with them.

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

It is so good to see that you are doing well! And as for the blogging community ... don't worry - who on earth has time to keep up with it all anyways!

Keep taking care of yourself and those little ones!

GibsonTwins said...

Happy to see you're well! Been thinking about you lately.

I had ultrasounds every 4 weeks per my ob but worked in a dept where u/s was available so the girls would check on the babies for me about once a week. They came out fine, its all about not spending HOURS at a time looking at the babies. I actually have a dvd of them that is about 45 min long! I really was crazy...

Keep up the good work!

GibsonTwins said...

PS- I tagged you for a meme!

Anonymous said...

AH! So glad you're feeling better and the babies are good. I had those headaches too... and it sucks that Ty.lenol is the only crappy choice for pain relief!

Sarah said...

Oh, I am so relieved to hear that ALL of you are doing well! I'm sorry about the pain though, hopefully the yoga will help.

Dont stress about the US's. I know, I know easier said than done.

Big hugs!

Just Me. said...

I am so glad that everything's ok. I was getting very worried.

Well, I don't know if you need to worry about having so many u/s. But do check with your doctor if it's safe. I do know that back home every MTB gets checked at every appointment, irregardless of whether it's a high risk case or not unlike here.

Yes, the migraines are a bummer. They started too at the start of 2nd trimester.

Take care you and give those cute little babies in there a belly rub for me.

(((((hugs)))))

Anonymous said...

ultrasounds are not a source of radiation like x-rays - they're done with sound waves. There is some concern about whether that impacts the hearing of children, but from when I did the research, it sounded like it wasn't really an issue at all when it's a case of every few weeks, especially with pregnancies where it's important to keep monitoring.

I'm glad that things are looking good and the pain and cramping has at least let up.

alicia said...

I think the u/s are ok! There are no studies to show that they hurt babies! So try not to worry :)

I am sorry your Dr kinda is lame, but if she knows her stuff that is good!

I am getting the headaches too, it is awful! Every day since 12weeks on, blah.

Glad to hear from you though :)

Rebel With.A.Cause said...

I am so glad that ou and the wee ones are good!!! I was worried about you!!!

Great big relieved hugs from the NC!!

Rebel

Lost in Space said...

So glad you are all doing well. Many hugs for all your worry and pain.

Jill said...

I am so happy to hear that everything is okay with you and the babies!

I wouldn't worry about the u/s...they wouldn't do anything that would harm the babies. Just enjoy seeing them do back-flips. :)

Praying that the back pain and headaches stay away.

Try and take it easy...

((HUGS))

LitterOf2 said...

Oh wow, I actually got a little teary-eyed (joyful tears) when I read your post - I've checked your blog every single day for the past week, phew... and I am not even a blogger yet. I am so proud of you and your babies! I agree with everyone who told you not to worry about the ultrasound. I am a health care professional, plus I have a 2-month old after monstrous infertility issues, and I researched the ultrasound issue ad nauseam... I agree that it is safe and necessary, especially for high-risk pregnancies within reason. Keep us posted please!

Jules said...

So glad to hear things are ok with you & the wee ones.

Sorry to hear about the headaches and other aches & pains. Trust me when I say they'll be worth it when you're holding your babies in your arms :)

Have a great weekend

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say that you should ask your doctor about using heat on your back. Mine told me not to do that. So glad everything looks good!
Janice

I Believe in Miracles said...

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad to hear that everything is fine. What a blessing.
**HUGS**

Amanda said...

I am so glad to hear that all is well with the babies! I hope the heat and yoga really help with your back (and headaches).

Bec said...

Glad to hear everything is okay hon, you had worried there for a minute.

I wouldn't stress too much about the ultrasounds, but if it bothers you just ask the question.

JW Moxie said...

Oh. My. GOODNESS!!! Where the heck have I been!?! That's exactly what I get for not having you added to my Google Reader. You're pregnant! With twins! On your second Clomid cycle (just like another Smart One I know). OMG, I am SOOOOOOOOO excited for you!

I had 4 u/s by time I was 12 weeks along. I had u/s at each and every visit. I went once a month between weeks 12 and 28, then went once per week from there with u/s and NSTs at each of those visits. I think the frequency of the u/s are okay, but if they make you nervous, it can't hurt to ask about it.

I've added you to my reader so that I don't get so ridiculously far behind again! Double congratulations to you!

Courtney said...

Big congratulations!
And I conquer with a previous post, Ultra sounds are not any form of radiation, it is all sonar waves, the way you find fish below your boat or submarines.
Again, two babies, that is fabulous!