Monday, July 28, 2008

Back to the Clinic

First, I'd like to thank you all for your input and suggestions on whether I should take the month off TTC or not...sounds like everyone is encouraging me to take a vacation! :) Since I like avoiding decision-making, I decided to wait to decide until after our appointment with the RE on Tuesday.

So we're back at the clinic on Tuesday morning to figure out what to do next. One round of Clomid gave me nothing but hot flashes and crazy mood swings. I'm on round two now, and if this doesn't work, I am only doing Clomid for one more month. The doctor prescribed 50mg, taken Days 3-7. She said I definitely don't need more than 50mg because 1) I have no problem ovulating on my own and 2) I'm so "tiny" (her words) - what she doesn't realize is that short does not equal tiny, and I'm at the upper limit of "normal" for what my weight should be for my height.

Sooo...I'm wondering...what should I be asking her? Should I request a higher dose of Clomid for the third and final try? Should I be getting more details on IUI? Do I have any other options before IUI? Test results were all clear for both of us, so there is nothing to actually treat. Since she was of the opinion to just wait and keep trying, I want to make sure I have some sort of action plan in my mind to suggest, otherwise I'll be sent home with a prescription to just keep having sex (since we're not doing that already, right??).

Thanks in advance ladies! :)

12 comments:

GibsonTwins said...

You could maybe ask her to adjust your days that you take Clomid. I really have no idea though. Sounds like you are doing everything right already. I took Clomid days 5-9 but I'm not sure what they base that on.
Good luck with the appointment :)

Mazzy said...

Too much clomid could make you crazy.. I think with me I found that I just had to trust my RE's opinion. If the clomid doesn't work, I'd probably move on to the injectibles, they are so much more predictable and monitored so much more closely. It just seemed so much more efficient to me than clomid.
And IUI doesn't seem to have like that "great" of improvement on your chances of conceiving. Have you had a post coital done??
Good luck with your appt!!!!
*hugs*

alicia said...

hmm I would ask some more about IUI's! I know they have worked for a lot of my friends with unexplained IF. But I am with Mel, I have learned to trust my dr too, they are the experts! Good luck at the appointment!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mel on this one. Clomid never did anything for me (well, nothing actually EVER did anything for me), but before moving on to injectibles, my doctor also tried Letrozol )Femara. Femara does not wreck your lining like clomid does.

Erin said...

The only thing I could think of is adjusting the days you take Clomid. My doctor said to start anywhere from day 3-5. We started on three, the plan was to move to 4 then 5.

Anonymous said...

The IUI could help if the Clomid is drying up your cervical fluid and hampering the sperm from getting to the egg. But you can also fix that yourself by using something like Preseed.

As for dosages, I've got no assvice- sorry! I think the other ladies have made a good point- sometimes you've just got to trust your doctor.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I would get a post-coital test. Its very easy- have sex in the pm, then go in the next morning for what is essentially a pap smear. They can see how many sperm are there, how many are alive (if your mucus is hostile), and how much cervical fluid (egg white) you've got. And you get the results right away. That's why we went with the iui this cycle because I had *no* cervical fluid up in there. And there's no way you'll get pregnant with no fluid for the dudes to swim in.

Good luck at the appointment!

I've heard good stuff about the injectables too, except that they are very very expensive. Like $1000 or more for one month. Just thought I'd mention that.

Echloe said...

At my clinic after 3 rounds of clomid it is time to move onto injectibles. But as some of the others said, Femara might be a better choice for you. Maybe Femara IUI or injectibles IUI. I'm sure your RE will have a good plan for you.

Lost in Space said...

I would ask your RE about some different options and what she thinks would be best based on your background. Different options could be:

1) Increase Clomid or alter days
2) Continue Clomid and add IUI
3) Try Femara and add IUI
4) Move on to injectables/IUI

I wouldn't do more than 3 Clomid cycles so even if she wants you to continue one more, I would still ask what is next after that.

Good luck!! I hope it all goes great!

Kristen said...

I don't know what other docs base their decisions on, but my normal OB was the one who prescribed my Clomid, and he said we would increase until I ovulated. I've heard of some doing it to make sure you have a "stronger" ovulation, although I'm not sure of the details of that. Maybe see if they can monitor ovulation hormones to make sure the days you take the Clomid are correct?

Good luck!

Kristen said...

I don't know what other docs base their decisions on, but my normal OB was the one who prescribed my Clomid, and he said we would increase until I ovulated. I've heard of some doing it to make sure you have a "stronger" ovulation, although I'm not sure of the details of that. Maybe see if they can monitor ovulation hormones to make sure the days you take the Clomid are correct?

Good luck!

Mandy said...

I would look more into IUI. When doing it the old fashion way only 30% of the sperm actually makes it into the cervix. When you do a IUI, 100% makes it and it is prewashed, so it is the best sperm. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Good luck!!